Clean Silver Jewelry At Home
Silver jewelry items often lose their shine over time and become black. A result of a chemical reaction between silver and sulfur is called tarnish.
Most silver jewelry accessories are plated with a thin coated layer of rhodium. It is used to protect silver jewelry items and keeps them shinier and brighter.
However, cosmetics, perfumes, hand cream, and hair spray tarnish your silver items. Silver-plated jewelry and sterling silver feature a lower percentage of silver and are more potentially tarnished. Fortunately, there are some easy and affordable ways to remove tarnish, clean silver, and polish them.
Clean Silver Jewelry with Dish Soap
- You can use this cleaning method for both silver-plated and sterling silver jewelry accessories.
- Add a few drops of liquid dish soap to soak silver jewelry in warm water. Mix the soap in warm water and dip them for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a soft toothbrush to rub and clean any gashes. Wash the jewelry in water.
- Gently scrub jewelry smoothly with a microfiber towel or silver cloth to dry your jewelry.
Clean Sterling Silver with Baking Soda
- Mix 2 parts of baking soda and 1 part of warm water to make a paste.
- Gently rub the paste onto jewelry and let the paste dry completely to eliminate tarnish.
- Dry and clean your jewelry with a soft cloth or towel.
Clean Silver Jewelry with Corn flour
This method will help if you have lost your silver jewelry shine.
- Use Corn flour and prepare a thick paste in warm water.
- Apply the paste onto the silver jewelry items and let the mixture dry completely.
- Smoothly clean them with a towel and polish the surface to restore the shine of your jewelry.
You can use cream of tartar if you don’t have Corn flour.
Use Ketchup to Clean Silver Items
Ketchup is a great option if you want to eliminate tarnish from silver.
- Use a few drops of ketchup on a paper towel and softly rub your silver jewelry.
- Directly apply ketchup on old tarnished areas and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Use a soft toothbrush to clean the tarnish.
- Gently rub silver with a microfiber towel and wash with warm water.
Clean Silver with Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizing products offer a faster solution to clean your silver items.
- Use a small amount of hand sanitizer on soft paper or cloth.
- Gently rub silver items to eliminate mat and a slight tarnish.
Use Ammonia to Clean Silver
This is a simple way to shine and brighten silver jewelry & accessories.
- Use 1 part of clear ammonia and 2 parts of warm water to prepare the solution.
- Soak your silver jewelry in the liquid for 15 minutes.
- Clean silver items with soft cloth and buff.
- Use dry cotton cloth to polish the surface.
Don’t use ammonia for your antique silver jewelry items.
How to Clean Your Silver Rings and Chains?
You can start with a bar of soap and water to clean a silver ring. Use a clean toothbrush to rub and eliminate tarnish.
However, the perfect method for cleaning silver rings also relies on the other material in the piece. Some cleaning methods can damage pearls, turquoise, precious metals, and gemstones embedded in the ring.
Baking soda can scratch soft metals and vinegar can damage precious stones. Your precious and delicate silver pieces need special care. Different perfumes and lotions can easily tarnish silver chains, necklaces, and bracelets.
The tarnish on silver is developed when sulfur atoms combine with silver. Use aluminum foil to pull the sulfur atoms from the silver and make it clean.
Homemade Solutions for Cleaning Silver
You can try other methods for cleaning silver jewelry accessories if soap and water don’t work. Use common kitchen cabinets and household items to clean silver such as lemon juice, baking soda, white vinegar, and toothpaste. Moreover, learn here effect of salt water on jewelry types.
Lemon and Olive Oil
- Use 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Soak your silver in the solution for 30 minutes.
- Gently rub the silver with a clean cloth until it shines.
- Wash silver items in water and dry them.
Vinegar and Banking Soda
- Use 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Dip your silver jewelry in the mixture for 2 to 3 hours.
- Then, rub the items, wash them in water, and dry them.
Clean Silver with Toothpaste
A small amount of liquid toothpaste can effectively clean sterling silver jewelry. But don’t use toothpaste with a whitening formula. You can completely protect silver from heat, air, or moisture to maintain your tarnish-free silver jewelry.
How to get the Best Silver Jewelry Accessories
You will find various stores online selling different types of silver jewelry items. Some of them, such as Uclick.pk, are offering the best quality and long-lasting silver jewelry products.
You can buy silver rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and other silver jewelry items.
Silver jewelry offers an excellent way to make you attractive and highlight your overall appearance. Uclick.pk is a popular online shop that offers the best silver jewelry accessories at affordable prices. You will get excellent and the latest silver jewelry items according to your desire.